Welcome to the Miranda Community Garden (MCG)
Miranda Community Garden (MCG)
The Miranda Community Garden has launched a new stand-alone website https://mirandacommunitygarden.org.au. This new website provides details on our history, how our garden works and our wheelchair accessible garden beds. The membership page details what you get as a member and what is expected of members. A membership form and membership agreement can be downloaded from the new website.
- New members are welcome. You are encouraged to come along and give it a try!
- Gardening takes place every Wednesday and Saturday mrning commencing after about 9 am.
- Prospective members are invited to participate in the Garden as a guest twice prior to joining the Garden. After that you can join the garden by signing the Membership Agreement (see MCG website) and paying your annual (pro rata) membership fee. At present we have about 30 enthusiastic members, the majority from outside the church congregation.
- Enquiries welcome – please contact us by phone (either Brian 0421 868 030, Gillian 9540 3813 or Sally 0412 682 159) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Miranda Community Garden (MCG) was started in early 2010 by the Gymea Miranda Uniting Church on a block of land adjacent to and owned by the church. The founder of the garden was Brian Gutherson, a member of the congregation. The aims of the MCG are to connect with people of similar interests; to share gardening knowledge and ideas; to have fun and help each other; and, last but not least, to grow fresh vegetables, fruit, etc in a sustainable way. The following slide presentation summarises the development of the MCG since its inception in 2010. The slides were shown at the church service to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Miranda Community Garden in March 2020. To view the slides see: Click here (PDF 4.3Mg)
The Miranda Community Garden gratefully acknowledges various grants that have been received over the years to help establish and improve the garden. Grants have been received from:
- Sutherland Shire Council Annual Community and Arts Grants Program: $28,577 since 2013 ($3080 in 2013; $7540 plus GST in 2014; $5947 in 2016; $1210 in 2018 and $11,000 in 2020).
- Second Chance (an outreach of the Gymea-Miranda Uniting Church) for $2000 in 2010;
- Uniting Church New Missional Gatherings Seed Fund ($5000 in 2010) In addition the Garden gratefully acknowledges the kind annual donations by Bunnings (Caringbah) of equipment and supplies to support the Garden. Leave in the item on the 10th Anniversary Celebrations Follow this with a Gallery of selected photos. See additional sheet for selected photos.
10th Anniversary Celebrations
The MCG held its 10th birthday celebration at the garden on Sunday 15th March 2020. Many people said how much they enjoyed the day, particularly the yummy lunch. We were lucky with the weather which enabled the high school music groups to perform outside near the garden. Both the Kirrawee High Year 10 Combo and the Caringbah High Jazz Combo performed brilliantly. Some photos follow: